"I was drawn to medicine by my passions for biology and people. For me, good medicine is about taking care of people...and doing it in a way that works with their beliefs, customs, lifestyles, and goals.
I recognize that people have different concerns, perspectives, and motivations, which means they make different decisions. I find it a privilege to be able to interact with and make a difference for so many different kinds of people. At the same time, I have a responsibility to cater to their individual sensibilities and needs.
I measure my accomplishments one patient at a time. This is a big part of why I feel fortunate to have a strong background in science. The problem-solving skills I gained while pursuing my PhD in cell biology have helped me to answer the scientific questions that are often involved in diagnosing digestive problems. But it’s every bit as important for me to take time to understand each patient, to help them make informed decisions and, ultimately, to help them have the best quality of life possible.
- Board Certified: Gastroenterology, Internal Medicine
- Fellowship: Gastroenterology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Residency: Internal Medicine, New England Medical Center, Tufts University, Boston, MA
- Internship: New England Medical Center, Tufts University, Boston, MA
- MD: Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- PhD: Cell Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- BA: Biochemistry, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- Member: American Gastroenterological Association
- Honors & Awards:
- Honors in ambulatory medicine, primary care, psychiatry, surgery and pulmonary electives, Yale University School of Medicine, 1998–2000
- Honors in all PhD doctoral coursework, Yale University, 1991–95
- Departmental honors in biochemistry, Dartmouth College, 1991
- Senior fellowship in biochemistry, Dartmouth College, 1991
- Phi Beta Kappa, Dartmouth College, 1990
- Howard Hughes grant for independent undergraduate research, Dartmouth College, 1990
- Academic citations in physics, organic chemistry, and immunology, Dartmouth College, 1988–89
- Dartmouth Presidential Scholar, Dartmouth College, 1988–91
- National Merit Scholar, 1987–91