Many gastrointestinal disorders are chronic, and require long-term management of your condition. At Advanced Gastrointestinal Specialists, our board-certified gastroenterologists will help you make good decisions that will improve your health, keep symptoms in check, and maintain a fulfilling and productive quality of life.
Nutrition and Diet
Many conditions can be managed successfully with the right diet. We can recommend customized diets for chronic conditions such as Crohn’s disease and celiac disease that will minimize your symptoms and discomfort, and help you feel better.
Some examples of recommended diets may include:
- Plant-based diets high in fiber
- Eliminating red meat and saturated fats
- Including fish and lean meats
- Cutting out processed foods and preservatives
- Following a gluten-free diet (for gluten sensitivity and celiac disease)
Your doctor may refer you to a dietician who can educate you about reading product labels and planning menus. He or she may also prescribe vitamins and mineral supplements to help correct nutritional imbalances.
Your lifestyle can have a major effect on your gastrointestinal system. Eating too much of the wrong foods can lead to disease or exacerbate any conditions you may already have. Lifestyle changes that can improve symptoms and manage conditions include:
- Eating healthy and nutritious foods
- Increasing general activity and exercise
- Maintaining a healthy weight for your frame
- Quitting smoking
- Managing levels of stress in your life
Let Advanced Gastrointestinal Specialists be your partner in health. Call our office in Voorhees, NJ at (856) 772-1600, in Washington Township at (856) 374-5822, or in West Deptford at (856) 384-8282. To schedule an appointment, you can call us or use our secure online appointment request form.